Some Jazz, Robots & the Equalizer of Men#5WFs(60th)
1. What I’m inspired by: The impact of education. I finally saw the Michelle Obama’ Netflix documentary, “Becoming” and amongst many awesome impressions, was reminded that; “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” #NelsonMandela
Those of us who have been blessed with this opportunity; individuals and institutions, should help others with the chance of this “great equalizer of conditions of men”, and that includes glamourizing academic attainments just as music or sports. (Dr. Ben Carson line of thought) It should not take a Camille Vasquez to meet a Johnny Depp before we recognize there’s such a thing as a gifted lawyer.
2. What I’m reading: For obvious reasons, this article on AI predictive text resonates with me. The struggle of the writer to “defend humanity’s exclusive right to writing, an ability unique to our species” is one I know too well. I mean, I obsessively up my Grammarly score without the pro version and shun auto-texts. What ridiculousness.
But this is different from completion or correction of grammar and sentences. It’s churning out chunks of paragraphs that preempt and reflect your flow of thought. The accuracy and quality of output is humbling for the almighty human. I loved comparing the bot text with the writer’s. “The creepy thing was that the machine was more thoughtful than I was”, he says. See here: https://bit.ly/3zYoi6e
3. What I’m excited about: It’s our 60th. We are past the hump on our way to 100. Thank you people!
4. What I did: Wrapped my soul in soothing jazz. What started as a soundtrack, slowly segued into a full-on Nora Jones experience. “If music be the food of love, play on, give me excess of it that, surfeiting, the appetite may sicken and so die. That strain again, it had a dying fall…” #secondaryschoolmemories #twelfthnight
Here’s the playlist for your weekend. https://lnkd.in/dV5ffMGE
5. What’s up: How “Apple Just Wrecked 15+ Startups in Less Than 1 Hour”! Some ideas are difficult to replicate due to scale, uniqueness or first mover advantage. Others, errr, not so much when…an Apple for instance, creates a feature that wipes out years of building your one time big idea. Here: https://bit.ly/3A9ffj3 One day, we are unicorns. The next, teletubbies!
Every Friday-ish, I do a quick round up of 5 things; What I’m Inspired by, What I’m Reading, What I’m Excited About, What I Did and What’s Up! These are my takes on 5 significant, sublime and sometimes silly stuff! Follow me on Medium so you don’t miss this! Feedback’s great so don’t forget to clap, like, comment and share with others. Again…enjoy! #5WhatsFridays