The Power of “No.”#5WFs (34th.)
Money, Movie, Music and a Merry Christmas!
1. What I’m inspired by: The power of “No”. After an internal wrangling of ‘how’, ‘when’, ‘should I’, ‘Maybe’; I decided on the one word that made a complicated issue incredibly simple in 5 seconds; ‘No.’ The effects? Liberation and focus! Going into 2022, I’m reminded of Warren Buffet’s words; “the difference between successful people and very successful people is that very successful people say ‘No’ to almost everything.” Thank you Sir!
2. What I’m reading: This blistering review of #TheMatrixResurrections the 4th and latest installment of #TheMatrix franchise. It summarizes the movie as ‘…just another piece of IP, an algorithm of unoriginality.’ https://lnkd.in/dbfjk2nk Honestly, how does a creator or anyone at all, come back from such devastating feedback? Andy Warhol helps; ‘Don’t think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it’s good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.’ Answer? Keep creating!
3. What I’m excited about: David Vs Goliath! ‘Wisp thin’, ‘Bezos Bald’ and now Canada’s 2nd wealthiest person at 41; Founder, Tobias Lütke and Shopify seem to have benefited from a series of calculated and inadvertent events, including a ‘rare strategic mistake’ by #JeffBezos, ‘that’s likely to go down in the annals of corporate blunders’. This article titled; ‘How Shopify Outfoxed Amazon to Become the Everywhere Store’ is a lesson in corporate strategy, company culture and long term positioning. See here: https://lnkd.in/d2CiKpec
4. What I did: Visited and provided support materials for the beautiful people of The Cece Yara Foundation with my incredible team at The Elevation Church #FaithSystemsHub #GiftArikpo #JemimahNnamdiIweha #TinaAkapo Great job by The Cece Yara Foundation and thanks for an opportunity to share some love and laughter!
5. What’s up: It’s the most wonderful time of the year! That’s a line from the 1963 Christmas Album by Andy Williams. Every year, I get stuck on a specific music for Christmas, my mind refusing to let go of a sound from a Carol service, the radio, a movie… This year, it’s the redolent encore in “God Only Knows” by the #BeachBoys. Thanks to #LoveActually. Just like ‘Jingle Bell’, it’s not a Christmas Song, but fits anyway. Here is my favourite version — a stellar ensemble by the BBC https://lnkd.in/d2Uhts9F , and a #Pentatonix heartstring-pulling version https://lnkd.in/dXMk-McS . This one is for you reading this. God only knows what I’d be without you. Merry Christmas.
Every Friday-ish, I do a quick round up of 5 things; What I’m Inspired by, What I’m Reading, What I’m Excited About, What I Did and What’s Up! These are my takes on 5 significant, sublime and sometimes silly stuff! Follow me on Medium so you don’t miss this! Feedback’s great so don’t forget to clap, like, comment and share with others. Again…enjoy! #5WhatsFridays