The Scent of a Woman.#5WFs(59th)
1. What I’m inspired by: Excellent writing. Excellent delivery. Thanks to YouTube recommendations of unmatchable performances from years of yore, I landed on this amazing monologue by Al Pacino defending the character Charlie Simms in the movie Scent of a Woman. My favourite lines; “Out of order. Who the hell you think you’re talking to? I’ve been around, you know. There was a time I could see. And I have seen. Boys like these, younger than these, their arms torn out, their legs ripped off. But there is nothing like the sight of an amputated spirit; there is no prosthetic for that.” Phew!
A wise man once told me, excellence on your job does 2 things; inspires man and glorifies God. The great Al did both. Watch what I mean here: https://lnkd.in/dw-csJpa and go be excellent!
2. What I’m reading: “On-demand apps have enabled a mass-market version of the luxury of having people at your disposal to do things for you…” transportation, food delivery, chores, etc. One even calls it the “democratization of laziness”. However after a decade of rabid tech obsession suffusing the sector with cheap money, investors are cutting back and calling for returns. For consumers, sadly it might be time to say “farewell to the servant economy” and roll sleeves up. See Financial Times article here: https://on.ft.com/39xe55O
3. What I’m excited about: Mobile hotels. This startup provides “nomadic hospitality solutions” building “modular and movable” hotel rooms. Operations are seasonal and units are adjusted based on demand availability. Well, pros and cons exist but it is heartening to see beautiful innovation, always. More from Forbes here: https://bit.ly/3N4916O
4. What I did: Reaped the earnings of a well nurtured relationship. My good friend and relationship management maestro ‘Seni Fawehinmi would say; “always keep a relationship warm”. It pays, if not today, in the future. And even if never, it’s the right thing to do.
5. What’s up: A gentle reminder from me to all that it is still good manners, courteous and professional to acknowledge an email. You know, that scribble that says; “hello, your mail is well received”? Yes, that one. It’s not gone with the wind. It’s not a generation quirk. It’s forever in vogue and applies to all. What? You? No, come on, it’s not you, it’s me. *smiles* Have a great weekend.
Every Friday-ish, I do a quick round up of 5 things; What I’m Inspired by, What I’m Reading, What I’m Excited About, What I Did and What’s Up! These are my takes on 5 significant, sublime and sometimes silly stuff! Follow me on Medium so you don’t miss this! Feedback’s great so don’t forget to clap, like, comment and share with others. Again…enjoy! #5WhatsFridays