Wisdom from an Old Era and a Return to Old Normal.#5WFs(57th)
Lessons from a Platinum Jubilee& Bye to Remote Work!?
1. What I’m inspired by: The Platinum Jubilee of Her Majesty the Queen. In the epoch marking documentary by the BBC, “The Unseen Queen”; her own words,”…every day is a new beginning. I know that the only way to live my life is …to take the long view…it’s a question of maturing into something…and accepting the fact that here you are and it’s your fate…”
For all the pulsating modern ideology to disrupt, pivot and innovate, we are confronted with a refreshing and reassuring truth; purpose, success and accomplishment do not always come from going against the grain. As HM implied, there is the sacred place of submission in achieving legacy and longevity. The recognition and acceptance of that place is true courage.
2. What I’m reading: Something about wedding party economics! Nigerians know this too well; asoebi, makeup, gift contribution, destination wedding — hello? Who’s gonna pay? Be comforted. This light read https://bit.ly/3zhbozH tells us it’s a global phenomenon. It also includes bonus tips on how to politely decline without offending the host.
3. What I’m excited about: Canva Pro naira subscription. The last time I paid for this in forex, it was unbelievably stressful. Hesitant and inundated by reminders to renew, it was a pleasant surprise to receive a mail from Canva that subscription can now be paid in good ol’ naira. With all the evolution in Fintech, it’s astonishing how difficult it still is to receive and make payment for certain transactions, actively cutting out huge markets like Nigeria. Glad to see Canva got the memo. Medium, you are next!
4. What I did: Signed up facilitators for the Global Bookbased Learning Summit, July 21st — 23rd. We are almost there! Theme: Resilience in Tough Times; People, Businesses and Societies! Topical issues, fantastic books, amazing authors, erudite moderators, and …. You! Stay tuned.
5. What’s up: A return to old normal!? Apparently, remote work is under fire. i.) The Market: tightly competed jobs and openings that somehow never materialize. ii.) The Worker: WFH fatigue, the human yearning for change and decline in productivity. iii.) The Employer/Organization: culture dilution, absence of spontaneous solutions and on-the-job mentoring, virtual management challenges, and dwindling output. Early on, Goldman Sachs issued an office resumption ultimatum; https://cnb.cx/3NqvZWQ
Last week Elon told Tesla employees to get back to the office or “pretend to work somewhere else”, whatever that means. https://bbc.in/3x4fAAo I’m not sure they’ld want to find out. Would you? (lol) Have a great weekend!
Every Friday-ish, I do a quick round up of 5 things; What I’m Inspired by, What I’m Reading, What I’m Excited About, What I Did and What’s Up! These are my takes on 5 significant, sublime and sometimes silly stuff! Follow me on Medium so you don’t miss this! Feedback’s great so don’t forget to clap, like, comment and share with others. Again…enjoy! #5WhatsFriday